When I worked at my parents’ deli years ago, we toyed with the idea of serving breakfast to expand our menu. It never came to be, but we experimented with different recipes and menu items, and this was one of them. Egg, pesto mayo, provolone cheese and egg. Of coarse, I added savory pork sausage patties and fresh arugula, but these sandwiches are pretty much what we were going to serve.
And, they’re delicious.
But, guess what. The eggs are cooked in the microwave. Yes. The microwave. While the sausage patties are cooking, I put one egg into a cooking-spray coated soufflé cup with a splash of milk and a slice of cheese (you can cut the cheese to size using the cup before you add the egg) and pop it into the microwave for 1 minute. When it’s done, I let it rest for a minute before popping it right out. It makes a perfectly-sized egg patty for a sandwich, and the cheese is already melted.
Then it’s all about assembling the sandwiches. Bread, pesto mayo, tomato, egg, sausage, arugula, and more bread. Then you win at breakfast. I mean, just look at that sandwich. It doesn’t get much better.
You can also make these sandwiches with a fried egg. I tried it, and it’s just as delicious, especially if you like a runny yolk.Print
Italian-Style Breakfast Sandwiches
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4
For the pesto sauce:
- 1/4 cup dairy free pesto sauce
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
For the sandwiches:
- 4 Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Breakfast Sausage Patties
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup dairy free milk
- 4 ciabatta rolls
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 cup arugula
- Soufflé dish or small bowl
- In a small bowl, stir together the pesto and mayonnaise until smooth. Set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook sausage patties for 8 – 10 minutes, or until patties reach 165˚F, turning once. Remove from heat.
- While sausage patties are cooking, prepare eggs. In a soufflé dish or small bowl, whisk one egg with 1 tablespoon milk and salt & pepper. Microwave 1 minute. Let cool before removing from dish. Repeat for remaining eggs.
- To assemble sandwiches, layer each bun with pesto sauce, tomato slice, egg patty, sausage patty, and arugula.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
This post is sponsored by Jones Dairy Farm as a part of my brand ambassadorship with them. All opinions, ideas and recipes are my own. Thanks for supporting Simply Whisked and its sponsors.
For more delicious recipes featuring Jones Dairy Farm products, visit www.JonesDairyFarm.com or follow the company on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
To find Jones Dairy Farm products in a grocery store near you, check out this handy, dandy product locator: http://www.jonesdairyfarm.com/product-locator. And remember, you can find Jones’ fully-cooked sausage in the freezer section!