Why I love this scrambled egg sandwich
When I worked at my parents’ deli years ago, we toyed with the idea of serving breakfast to expand our menu. It never came to be, but we experimented with different recipes and menu items, and this was one of them.
Egg, pesto mayo, and egg. Of coarse, I added savory pork sausage patties and fresh arugula, but these sandwiches are pretty much what we were going to serve.
Just in case you’re wondering: are eggs dairy?
And, they’re delicious.
But, guess what. The eggs are cooked in the microwave. Yes. The microwave.
How to microwave an egg
While the sausage patties are cooking, I put one egg into a cooking-spray coated soufflé cup with a splash of dairy free milk, whisk it up, and pop it into the microwave for 1 minute.
When it’s done, I let it rest for a minute before popping it right out. It makes a perfectly-sized egg patty for a sandwich, and the cheese is already melted.
Then it’s all about assembling the sandwiches. Bread, pesto mayo, tomato, egg, sausage, arugula, and more bread. Then you win at breakfast. I mean, just look at that sandwich. It doesn’t get much better.
You can also make these sandwiches with a fried egg. I tried it, and it’s just as delicious, especially if you like a runny yolk.
More egg breakfast recipes you will love
Other dairy free breakfasts you should tryPrint
For the pesto mayo:
- 1/4 cup pesto sauce
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
For the sandwiches:
- 4 Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Breakfast Sausage Patties
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup dairy free milk
- 4 ciabatta rolls
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 cup arugula
- Soufflé dish or small bowl
- In a small bowl, stir together the pesto and mayonnaise until smooth. Set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook sausage patties for 8 – 10 minutes, or until patties reach 165˚F, turning once. Remove from heat.
- While sausage patties are cooking, prepare eggs. In a soufflé dish or small bowl, whisk one egg with 1 tablespoon milk and salt & pepper. Microwave 1 minute. Let cool before removing from dish. Repeat for remaining eggs.
- To assemble sandwiches, layer each bun with pesto sauce, tomato slice, egg patty, sausage patty, and arugula.
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 526
- Sugar: 3.6 g
- Sodium: 918.7 mg
- Fat: 30.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 6.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 41.1 g
- Fiber: 2.8 g
- Protein: 22.3 g
- Cholesterol: 219.6 mg
Keywords: scrambled egg sandwhich, dairy free breakfast sandwich, dairy free egg sandwich, sausage egg sandwich
For more delicious recipes featuring Jones Dairy Farm products, visit www.JonesDairyFarm.com or follow the company on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
To find Jones Dairy Farm products in a grocery store near you, check out this handy, dandy product locator: http://www.jonesdairyfarm.com/product-locator. And remember, you can find Jones’ fully-cooked sausage in the freezer section!
Published: April 20, 2016. Updated: March 14, 2022.
This post contains affiliate links. I may earn commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. I will never recommend a product I don’t use or trust.