Before my parents left for Ireland, we bought a giant package of Toulouse sausages at Carrefour. They’re basically the French equivalent to Italian sausages, so they’re my go to substitute for recipes. My mom made sausage and pepper sandwiches on delicious, fresh baguettes for dinner one night, but we still had a lot of sausages left.
So in an attempt to make something new with the remainder, Marc suggested using potatoes. This Italian sausage and vegetable skillet is what I came up with, and it was really, really good.I even made it again when my parents got back from their trip. It was that good. It’s a great alternative to having Italian sausages in sandwiches or with pasta. And, it was pretty simple to make so you have to try it.
The potatoes are roasted in the oven to get them nice and crispy, but the rest of the meal cooks in one skillet – no need to remove the sausages from the pan to cook the vegetables either. And the addition of the tomatoes – which isn’t quite a whole can, but you could totally use the whole can if you want – creates just enough sauce to coat everything without drowning the flavors.
If you want a little extra heat, try adding a 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes when the garlic is added.
If you like this recipe, I think you’ll also really like my easy jambalaya skillet. It’s a super easy one-pan meal and it has so much flavor thanks to the sausage.Print
- 1 pound potatoes, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- Olive oil
- 5 Italian sausages, sliced into 1-inch discs
- 2 bell peppers, roughly chopped
- 1 zucchini, halved and sliced
- 1/2 yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 400˚F (200˚C). Place potatoes on a parchment lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season liberally with salt and pepper. Roast potatoes until golden brown and slightly crispy, about 25 – 30 minutes.
- While the potatoes are roasting, heat the 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet to medium. Sauté sausages until browned, about 5 – 7 minutes.
- Add bell peppers, zucchini, onion, garlic and spices. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally until onions are translucent and peppers have softened slightly, about 15 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes and reduce heat to a simmer. Continue cooking until potatoes are ready.
- Add potatoes to the skillet and adjust seasoning before serving.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Last Updated on