These Italian anise cookies soft, flavorful, and even better than your grandmother’s. They’re the perfect addition to your selection of Christmas cookies this year. #dairyfree #Christmascookies
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup dairy free milk
- 2 teaspoons anise extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 – 4 tablespoons almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon anise extract
- Nonpareil sprinkles, optional
- Preheat oven to 350˚F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat sugar, eggs, oil, milk and anise extract until smooth.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, 1 cup at a time, beating until each addition is evenly combined.
- Roll dough into balls about 2 tablespoons in size. Place balls onto prepared cookie sheets and bake for 10 – 12 minutes, or until tops have set. Remove from oven and allow cookies to rest for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. They will need to cool completely before frosting.
- To make frosting, whisk ingredients together until smooth. Dip cookies into frosting and allow excess to fall off before transferring to a cooling rack. Sprinkle with nonpareils before frosting dries completely.
Keywords: dairy free, christmas