This traditional Irish shepherds pie is made with a mixture of lamb and ground beef to give you a ton of delicious flavor, and it’s topped with fluffy dairy free mashed potatoes. It’s such an easy recipe and absolutely perfect for celebrating St. Patrick’s Day!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 10-ounce bag frozen peas and carrots
- 3 – 4 cups mashed potatoes, cooled to room temperature
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. In a large bowl with an electric mixer , beat the egg into the mashed potatoes until light and fluffy.
- Heat a large ovenproof skillet to medium-high. Add olive oil and onion. Sauté, stirring occasionally until onions are translucent.
- Add ground beef and lamb, and continue cooking until meat has browned, breaking up the meat as it cooks. Drain excess fat.
- Stir flour into the pan with the meat until evenly coated.
- Add tomato paste, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, salt and frozen vegetables. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce has thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Top the shepherd’s pie with potato mixture. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, or until the mashed potatoes have set and are starting to brown on the top.
Keywords: dairy free, Irish, St. Patrick's Day, lamb, beef, comfort food