Instant Pot Carnitas | This recipe takes traditional pork carnitas and speeds them up for an easy weeknight meal. It’s the perfect meat for tacos, burrito bowls, or even nachos. Just add your favorite toppings. Dairy free, paleo and whole 30 friendly. #pork #carnitas
- 4 pound boneless pork shoulder, cut into 3 pieces
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil (I used canola)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 yellow or sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 chipotle peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce (from the can of chipotle peppers)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- Season each piece of pork liberally with salt, pepper and cumin. Set the Instant Pot to sauté. Add the oil and spread it around the pot. Sear the pork on all sides until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Remove from pot and hit cancel on the Instant Pot.
- Pour in the orange juice and deglaze the pot. Add the onions and peppers, and return the pork to the pot. Coat the pieces of pork with adobo sauce and garlic. Add bay leaf to the pot.
- Close the lid and set the vent to the sealing position. Set the Instant Pot to pressure cook on high pressure for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Allow the pressure to release natural when the timer has finished. Remove pork and shred the meat before serving.
Keywords: dairy free, paleo, gluten free, whole 30, easy, quick