Instant Pot Baked Beans with Bacon and Brown Sugar | This easy, no soak recipe makes the best baked beans from scratch using dry great northern beans. They’re perfect for any backyard BBQ or party. It’s one of my favorite pressure cooker recipes. #bakedbeans #instantpot
- 1 12-ounce package bacon
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 pound dried great northern beans, rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 3/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce*
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- Using kitchen shears, cut your bacon into bite size pieces and place them in your Instant Pot. Hit
sauté and cook the bacon until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the bacon from the pot and set aside on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb any excess grease.
- Remove all but about 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of the bacon grease. Turn off the sauté function and add your onion, bell pepper, beans, salt, black pepper, water, vinegar and Worcestershire. Use the pressure button to set your Instant Pot to high pressure. Close the lid and hit manual; then use the plus and minus buttons to reach 45 minutes.
- When the timer is done, let the pressure release naturally (about 10 minutes).
- Open the lid and add your liquid smoke, brown sugar, molasses, garlic and tomato sauce. Hit sauté and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the water and cornstarch. Once the sauce is boiling, add the slurry. Allow the mixture to boil, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until it reaches your desired thickness (the sauce will continue to thicken as it cools).
*If you want this recipe to be gluten and top 8 free, use a gluten free Worcestershire sauce
Keywords: dairy free, gluten free, top 8 free, allergy friendly, summer, easy