How many times do you buy a can of chipotle peppers only to use one or two of them in a recipe? Well, these honey chipotle chicken tacos are my very successful attempt at using the rest of that can up. I threw them in my food processor with some honey, lemons, limes and lots of other flavorful stuff to make the best taco marinade ever. And, it makes a lot – 4 cups – which is enough to make this recipe 4 times.
I marinated four boneless chicken thighs overnight in a zip-top bag with 1 cup of the marinade. I reserved the rest of the for future use (I frozen 1 pint in a mason jar and saved the rest in the fridge).
Then I made the easiest tacos ever. I baked the chicken with whatever marinade stayed on when I took the chicken out of the bag, and I made a super simple coleslaw with cilantro to top the tacos with. That’s it. No need for cheese or other boring toppings here.Print
For the marinade:
- 4 – 5 chipotle peppers + 3 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 2 lemons, chopped
- 2 limes, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled or minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon salt
For the tacos:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 8 – 10 flour tortillas
- 1 14-ounce bag coleslaw mix
- 1/3 cup cilantro
- 3 tablespoon mayo
- 3 tablespoons vinegar or lime juice
- salt & pepper
- In a food processor, blend marinade ingredients until smooth.
- Place 1 cup of marinade with the chicken thighs in a zip-top bag. Let chicken marinate for at least 1 hour, overnight if possible. Reserve remaining marinade for future use.
- Preheat oven to 400˚F (200˚C). Remove chicken from bag and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Bake for 20 minutes, or until chicken reaches 165˚F.
- While chicken is baking, prepare coleslaw. Combine coleslaw mix, cilantro, mayonnaise, vinegar in a large bowl. Stir to evenly coat. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Once chicken is cooked, roughly chop chicken into bite-sized pieces.
To assemble tacos:
- Fill each tortilla with a helping of chicken and top with coleslaw mixture.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Last Updated on