My baby is officially a year old as of yesterday. Her grandparents are visiting from Canada, and we had a little party to celebrate. She was spoiled rotten with lots of toys and cute little clothes, and she ate a really awesome birthday cake – I’ll be posting all about it soon. It’s hard to believe she’s gotten so big in just a year.
But even though she’s gotten so big, she still only has two teeth. Two really cute teeth, but they can’t really chew much, which means we are struggling to find things for her to eat. She doesn’t have any interest in the bland baby food she loved so much before. Oatmeal has become a big go-to for us, especially for breakfast, but I wanted to make her something a little more savory – more of a meal. So I tried out a savory oatmeal, with a bit of cheese and small chopped broccoli to give her some extra nutrients.
These cheesy broccoli oats really only took about ten minutes to make, including prep time, and it made enough for about 4 small meals. And, she loved it. I could tell because she didn’t make a mess with it. She just kept asking for more.
Next time we make it, which might actually be today, I’ll be making a triple batch and freezing half for later this month.
Homemade Baby Food: Cheesy Broccoli Oats
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 3 - 4
- 1 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 tablespoon miso paste
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup old-fashioned, rolled oats
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 deli slices mild cheddar cheese
- 1 cup finely chopped broccoli florets, steamed
- In a saucepan, heat milk, miso paste and garlic to boiling, stirring until smooth.
- Add oats, turmeric, salt and cheddar cheese slices. Heat, stirring frequently, until oats have softened, cheese has melted and most of the milk has been absorbed.
- Stir in steamed broccoli pieces.
- Allow oatmeal to cool slightly before serving.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg