This healthy sweet potato casserole with marshmallows is easy to make and low carb with just a hint of brown sugar. It can easily be made vegan or gluten free. It’s perfect if you’re clean eating this Thanksgiving.
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of coarse salt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup toasted pecan pieces
- 1/3 cup mini marshmallows
- Cinnamon and brown sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Place cubed sweet potatoes in a large saucepan and fill halfway with water.
- Cover pot and bring water to a boil. Cook until sweet potatoes are fork tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and return to pot. Add brown sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- Use an electric mixer to mash the sweet potatoes until smooth.
- In a small bowl or cup, scramble the egg thoroughly. While continuing to beat the sweet potatoes, slowly pour in the egg. Continue to beat for 1 minute, or until the sweet potato mixture is light and fluffy.
- Transfer to a baking dish and lightly sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon. Top with pecan pieces and marshmallows.
- Bake for 10 – 15 minutes or until marshmallows are toasted and eggs have fully set. Remove from oven and allow casserole to cool for about 10 minutes before serving.