Why I love these healthy morning glory muffins
A while back we went totally crazy and bought a 10 pound bag of carrots at Costco. We were making macaroni salad for a party or something – I can’t even remember now. In my usual dramatic fashion, the thought of actually driving across the street to the regular grocery store for a reasonably-sized bag of carrots made me want to cry, so we bought 10 pounds worth of carrots instead.
That didn’t matter though. I saw it as a challenge to use them all before they went bad. I was prepared to put carrots in everything – just to avoid making one more stop that day. I shredded carrots constantly and put them in everything – pasta sauce, soup, chicken salad. I even started making cooked carrots like my tarragon glazed carrots, just substituting the herbs to change things up.
Here’s what you’ll need to make them
How to make healthy morning glory muffins
Preheat oven to 350˚F and line a muffin pan with paper liners.
Mix the dry ingredients. In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
Mix the wet indredients. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together oil, honey, vanilla and applesauce until combined.
Combine wet and dry ingredients. Slowly add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until well combined, making sure not to overmix.
Add the mix-ins. Gently, stir in carrots, pecans, coconut and raisins until evenly distributed into the batter.
Bake the muffins. Bake for 20 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes before removing the muffins from the pan.
For added moisture, cover muffins and allow them to sit overnight. This is optional but trust me they will be so moist when you are ready to eat them in the morning.
More dairy free muffin recipes you will love
- Chocolate banana muffins
- Zucchini muffins
- Dairy free blueberry muffins with crumb topping
- Chocolate zucchini muffins
Other quick breakfast recipes you should try
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350˚F (180˚C) and line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt until even.
- Add honey, vanilla and applesauce, whisking or stirring until combined.
- Stir in carrots, pecans, coconut and raisins until evenly distributed in the batter.
- Scoop batter into muffin liners until about half full.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow muffins to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Cover muffins and allow them to sit overnight for added moisture (optional).
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 142
- Sugar: 13.4 g
- Sodium: 151.5 mg
- Fat: 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 23.4 g
- Fiber: 1.3 g
- Protein: 2 g
- Cholesterol: 10.3 mg
Keywords: morning glory muffins, morning glory muffin recipe, morning muffins, breakfast muffins, healthy breakfast muffins, breakfast muffin recipes,
Recipe adapted from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe.
Published: July 4, 2016. Updated: January 18, 2023.
This post contains affiliate links. I may earn commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. I will never recommend a product I don’t use or trust.