I did it. I really did. I managed to take one of the easiest things to cook and make an even easier recipe with it. And, it’s an awesome one. Trust me. This will be your new favorite way to eat shrimp/grill/use pesto. It’s going to be your new favorite everything.
I even impressed my shrimp-hating mother. To be fair, she doesn’t hate shrimp themselves, she just usually only likes them in shrimp cocktail-type situations. When I told her I was going to grill some shrimp for dinner the other night – along with cedar planked salmon – she was less than enthusiastic.
But, as any truly supportive mom would, she gave them a try. By the end of the meal, everyone was raving about how great the shrimp were, and my mom even admitted to liking them. I’d say that qualifies the recipe a success. So much so that I made them again a few days later, just so I could share them with you.
And, you’re going to love it. All you have to do is whip up some cilantro pesto marinade – adapted from my normal cilantro pesto with a little extra lemon and a little less oil – and let the shrimp sit in that while you’re soaking your skewers and heating the grill. Then pop them onto their sticks and line them up on the grill for 5 – 6 minutes. They’re perfect for a quick meal, or even a “fancy” appetizer for you next backyard barbecue.Print
For the pesto:
- 2 cups cilantro, large stems removed (about 1 bunch)
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (about 1 large lemon)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
For the skewers:
- 2 pounds large peeled, tail-on shrimp
- 10–12 wooden skewers
- Soak the wooden skewers in water for a minimum of 20 minutes.
- In a food processor , combine all of the pesto ingredients. Blend until smooth.
- Place the shrimp in a large bowl and add the pesto. Stir to coat the shrimp.
- While the shrimp marinate, preheat a grill to medium, indirect heat (375˚F – 400˚F).
- Place shrimp on skewers, and grill for 5 -6 minutes, turning once.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Last Updated on