This flavorful kofta recipe is made with a combination of beef and lamb. It’s grilled to perfection and served with a creamy, dairy free cucumber sauce and flatbread. It can also easily be made on the stovetop or in the oven.
Why I love this lamb and beef kofta
I’m so, so excited to share this recipe today. It’s definitely my newest favorite recipe/obsession. Being a food blogger makes choosing an actual favorite recipe pretty much impossible, but I do find my favorites every now and then.
And then I change things up and find all new ones. I found the inspiration for this recipe in a Cooking Light that I impulsively bought a few weeks back, and after watching a contestant on MasterChef make something similar, I added it to our weekly menu.
Anyway, I’m usually really excited about all of my recipes, but these grilled beef and lamb kofta recipe turned out so much better than I even imagined it would.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this kofta recipe:
A note about ingredients:
Lamb is a newer ingredient for me, but using in a recipe like this made it so much less intimidating. I especially like that you can’t really tell that there’s lamb in the patties.
It just lends a slight sweetness to the recipe that you can’t really get from beef alone. However, you could totally make the recipe with just beef.
How to make kofta
The recipe itself is simple. You’re basically just making some fancied up burgers and topping them with a vegan tzatziki sauce.
We made a quick and super easy cucumber salad to pair with it (recipe coming soon), and I picked up some naan bread to completely the meal. You can also use a pita style flatbread or make your own naan bread if you can’t find any that’s dairy free.
Then it was just a matter of grilling the patties – about 6 – 7 minutes per side – and voila, you have yourself a new favorite meal (bonus points for following it up with some watermelon sorbet for dessert).
More ground beef recipes:
- Ground beef stroganoff
- Grilled meatloaf
- Greek meatballs
- Baked hamburgers
- Cincinnati chili
- Stuffed peppers
This recipe would be great with:Print
For the patties:
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground lamb
- 1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint, optional
- 1/2 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon all-spice
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
For the cucumber sauce:
- 2 cups dairy free sour cream (or plain Greek yogurt if not dairy free)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup diced cucumber
- 3 tablespoons finely diced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat grill for medium indirect heat (about 375˚ – 400˚F).
- In a large bowl, stir together the kofta ingredients. Form into 4 burger-shaped patties, about 1/2-inch thick.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the sauce ingredients. Set aside.
- Grill patties for 6 – 7 minutes per side – or until juices run clear.
- Remove the patties from grill and allow them to rest for about 2 minutes before serving.
Keywords: dairy free, egg free, easy, beef, lamb, grilling
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light.
Last Updated on July 30, 2020 by Melissa Belanger