This is the easiest, dairy free green bean casserole and you’ll only dirty one pan making it. Make it vegan with vegetable broth.
- 1 1/2 pound green beans, trimmed and halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups fried onions
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Blanch green beans for about 4 minutes, or until bright green and slightly tender. Drain.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Whisk in flour until a roux has formed. Slowly add broth, whisking into the roux until smooth. Add almond milk and continue to whisk. Add onion powder, salt and pepper. Bring sauce to a simmer and allow it to thicken, about 5 minutes. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Stir in green beans and 1/2 cup onions until evenly coated in sauce. Top casserole with remaining onions and bake for 15 minutes, or until sauce is bubbling and onions have browned. Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
Keywords: dairy free, vegan, easy, from scratch, fresh