These giant meatballs are baked to perfection in the oven and topped with fresh tomato sauce & basil. Makes about 20 meatballs.
Happy Friday Gilmore fans! I hope you all had a wonderful holiday. Yesterday was our first day home from Canada, and we had so much fun while we were gone.
It was a great first Canadian Christmas for Ellie and me. Did you see the latest news in the internet? There’s bit hints of a new season on Twitter.
Talk about a Christmas present – that’s something to get seriously excited about because we need some resolution after all that new conflict was introduced. I mean, please, give us some answers.
Why I love these giant meatballs
Anyway, when Rory goes on her three month anniversary date with Dean, she orders her mother a giant meatball to go. She inevitably leaves it behind in the junk yard after being dumped and then feels absolutely terrible about it. So I thought I would make some giant meatballs to make up for the fact that she never got that meatball.
The giant meatballs are seriously huge, weighing in at a quarter pound each. I actually weighed each of them before committing to rolling it into a ball, and there was surprisingly just enough to make 20 meatballs.
Of course, I made a double batch just in case, so don’t worry you’ll only get 10 with this recipe. Needless to say, we ate meatballs for days, but they’re absolutely delicious, dairy-free and totally worthy of their own tinfoil swan.
Here’s what you need to make them:
As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases at no added cost to you. Affiliate links will be noted as such, and I will never recommend a product that I don’t use or trust.
More meatball recipes:
- Greek meatballs
- Baked Italian meatballs (normal sized)
- Asian meatballs
- Meatball stroganoff
- Minestrone meatball soup
- Meatless meatballs
- Buffalo chicken meatballs
More Friday night dinner favorites:
- Praline cake
- Baked stuffed pork chops
- Chocolate pudding
- Osso buco
- Burger sauce
- Chicken and dumplings
- Lamb chops recipe
For the meatballs:
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 6 tablespoons Italian style breadcrumbs
- 6 tablespoons seasoned Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For the sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 6-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
For the sauce:
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil, garlic and crushed red pepper flakes over medium heat until sizzling.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and keep warm.
For the meatballs:
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- In a large bowl, mix meatball ingredients until evenly combined.
- Portion meatball mixture into 1/4 pound pieces, rolling into balls.
- Place meatballs in a large baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove dish from oven and top meatballs with about half of the sauce mixture. Return to oven and bake for an additional 25 – 30 minutes, or until meatballs have reached an internal temperature of 165˚F.
- To serve, top with remaining sauce.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Last Updated on December 11, 2019 by Melissa Belanger