I’ve been attempting to eat a little healthier lately. I don’t know why but I find it a lot easier to eat healthy when I’m at home rather than abroad. Maybe it’s because I’m more familiar with food products here, but I really struggled with eating healthy in France. It might also be because of the abundance of delicious pastries too. Either way, I’m making a conscious effort to change my habits as of late. Luckily, this is a recipe that can easily be made no matter where you live.
I made this vegetable soup with broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, cabbage, celery, kale, onion, zucchini and tomatoes, but the vegetables could easily be replaced with whatever you have on hand or any vegetables you just really like. I think the only ones I wouldn’t change or substitute are the carrots, celery and onion because they make the base of the flavor for the soup. Top it off with a little grated cheese for a little something extra.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium yellow or sweet onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped broccoli florets (about 1/3 of a head)
- 1 cup chopped cauliflower florets (about 1/3 of a head)
- 1 zucchini, halved and sliced
- 1/4 head of cabbage, roughly chopped
- 2 cups roughly chopped kale (about 4 stalks)
- 1 15-ounce can petite diced tomatoes, drained of juices (can use regular diced tomatoes)
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, sauté garlic, onion, carrots, celery until onion in translucent – about 7 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and remaining vegetables (except the tomatoes).
- Cover pot and bring to a boil.
- When soup is boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and simmer for about 5 more minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
In the mood for something warm? Check out some other great soup recipes:
Last Updated on