- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon all spice
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped candied fruit
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 350˚F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat shortening and sugars at medium speed until light and fluffy – about 2 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla, beating until combined. Add flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time, mixing until incorporated, scrapping sides as needed.
- Stir in candied fruit and nuts.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, drop 2 tablespoon balls of dough onto cookie sheet. Bake for 10 – 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cookies cool for about 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
If you don’t have the spices listed, you can easily swap a pumpkin pie spice blend for the cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and all-spice. The flavor won’t be exact, but it will be very close.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 164