Why you’ll love this apple parsnip soup
- This recipe needs only a few ingredients to make.
- This soup holds up well when frozen.
- This unique and creamy soup is the perfect balance of sweet and savory, making the best fall soup!
Making changes to a recipe can result in recipe failure. Any substitutions listed below are simple changes that I believe will work in this recipe, but results are not guaranteed.
How to make apple parsnip soup
Sauté the onion, garlic, parsnips and apples. Season with salt and pepper and sauté until onions are translucent, about 5 – 7 minutes.
Deglaze the pan with wine. Add chicken broth, dairy free milk and bay leaf and bring soup to a low boil. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Blend into a smooth soup. You can use an immersion blender or a food processor, whichever works for you. If you use a food processor you may need to finish this step in batches. Either way, blend until smooth.
Garnish with fresh thyme leaves before serving.
frequently asked questions: Apple Parsnip Soup
I would recommend peeling the parsnips but just as with carrots, there is no need to actually remove the skins before eating them. If you choose to leave the skins on then make sure to wash them well prior to cooking.
You can freeze this soup for up to 3 months, if you make sure to store it in an airtight container. If you intend on freezing, make sure to allow the soup to cool fully before dividing into containers or portions.
Parsnips are a root vegetable, similar to a potato, which do not need to be refrigerated. They should be stored in a cool, dry place similar to how you would store a potato or an onion.
More delicious apple recipes you should try
- Turkey bacon apple wraps
- Apple butter pork chops
- Fennel apple salad with walnuts & arugula
- Vegan apple crisp
More dairy free soup recipes you will love
- Vegan cauliflower soup
- Easy chicken tortilla soup recipe
- New Year’s black eyed pea soup
- Creamy asparagus soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 6 parsnips (2 pounds), peeled and chopped
- 4 green apples, peel, cored and chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup dairy free milk
- Salt & pepper
- Fresh thyme leaves, for garnish
- In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil to medium-high. Add onion, garlic, parsnips and apples. Season liberally with salt & pepper. Sauté until onions are translucent, about 5 – 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Deglaze the pan with white wine. Then, add chicken broth, dairy free milk and bay leaf and bring soup to a low boil. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer until vegetables have softened, about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, puree until smooth (or blend in a food processor or blender, in batches).
- Garnish with fresh thyme leaves before serving.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 168
- Sugar: 11.9 g
- Sodium: 604.6 mg
- Fat: 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 29.5 g
- Fiber: 6.8 g
- Protein: 1.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: apple parsnip soup, dairy free parsnip soup, parsnip soup with apples, parsnip soup, dairy free apple soup, dairy free apple parsnip soup
Published: March 6, 2016. Updated: September 7, 2023.
This post contains affiliate links. I may earn commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. I will never recommend a product I don’t use or trust.