Whisked Life

Ellie’s Birth Story

Ellie's First Picture | ateaspoonofhappiness.com

It’s hard to believe that an entire month has flown by since our precious little baby was born. An entire month! In the course of that month, we’ve experienced incredible joy and faced the many challenges of being new to parenthood. We’ve learned so much about her, and I feel that we are finally starting to get the hang of things. Figuring out what she needs and wants has been such a rewarding struggle, and our efforts have paid off in the form of a really happy and calm baby. But, that’s another story for another time because today I want to share the story of how our little bundle of love came into this world. *Warning: there may be somewhat graphic details in this post – depending on how squeamish you are.*

My parents had arrived just a few days before, and Marc and I had been preparing our house and getting everything we would need together for weeks. I was finally feeling prepared enough to relax and enjoy the time we had before Ellie’s arrival. We had spent the previous day showing my parents around the city and getting them settled in for the long haul (they’ll be here until December 2nd). I woke up feeling huge, as usual, and decided that it would be best if I took the day off to rest. But within a few hours, I was super nauseated. I figured it was a sign that labor was coming – I had read that vomiting could be a potential symptom of labor – so I tried really hard not to think too much of it. I was already giddy with anticipation on the inside, hoping that this would be it. There was only 1 week left until my due date.

A few hours later, I couldn’t stop puking and I was starting to have mild contractions, so I attempted to take a nap and wait to see if the contractions got worse or closer together. After a while, they weren’t really progressing too much, but I still felt absolutely terrible. At this point, I was still unsure of what was really happening, but we decided that my symptoms might not be labor-related. So we decided to go to the maternity clinic and get checked out. Just to be safe.

While I was being examined, Marc started to feel sick, too. That’s when we knew for sure. It wasn’t just labor making me sick. The midwives decided that it was probably safest for me to be admitted and monitored, and then proceeded to tell us that Marc had to leave (because he was probably very contagious). He wasn’t allowed to come back until I was about to deliver. So after weeks of freaking out that Marc would be on the road when I went into labor and that I would have to go through it alone, I ended up having to do it alone (or at least most of it) anyway. Just my luck. But, I was too sick and exhausted to be upset about it.

He left the hospital around 11 p.m. and didn’t return until 6 a.m. the next day. I got an epidural just before Marc got there, and I was beyond happy to see him. After that, everything starts to blur together in my mind. I tried to sleep a little while we waited, but eventually they gave me pitocin to speed things up – it had been a really long time since my water broke. In the meantime, we attempted to get the baby to turn the right way by having me lay in different positions while the labor progressed. When it was time to push though, she still wasn’t completely turned and her heart rate was a little higher than they wanted so the doctor had to come to perform an emergency episiotomy to get her out as quickly as possible.

Then they plopped a giant, squirmy little baby on my chest and told Marc he could cut the umbilical cord, which he totally declined. They took her to the next room, and Marc watched while they cleaned her up and weighed her, etc. That’s when I heard her cry for the first time, which immediately made me cry. The staff must have thought I was nuts because I just couldn’t stop crying. It seemed like an eternity to me before the baby and Marc returned, but then I got to see her and it didn’t matter. She had so much hair and her chubby little cheeks were beyond cute – she weighed almost 9 pounds. I could barely believe I was actually holding my daughter. She was so perfect (and still is).

And, that’s how Ellie Jayne became our very favorite person in the whole world. Happy 1 month to baby girl!



Last Updated on

  • Reply
    November 12, 2014 at 9:37 am

    Ahhhh! I love this! I mean, not the puking and the emergency episiotomy but your perfect little bundle. She is so stinkin’ cute I can’t even handle it! My best friend had her baby three days ago, so I am surrounded by newborns that I love.. not the usual suspects on Facebook, babies I’m like, “Who does that even belong to..” Ha! I need more pictures of E.. more, more, more!!

Leave a Reply

Filling out this form will subscribe you to our newsletter, and you’ll get this awesome cheat sheet and more dairy free recipes delivered straight to your inbox.