Skip those complicated recipes. This easy, Spanish chicken recipe features chicken legs braised with a few simple ingredients like tomato and citrus so you can enjoy the flavors of Spain without a ton of effort. Serve with a simple saffron rice and the optional chocolate picada sauce for the ultimate Spanish meal.
For the Spanish chicken:
- 4 chicken leg quarters
- Salt & pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 3 ounces sherry
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
For the picada (optional):
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 ounce chocolate
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of: saffron threads, ground cloves, anise seeds
- 2 – 3 tablespoons chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350˚F (180˚C). On the stove, heat a cast iron skillet to medium-high.
- Season chicken legs liberally with coarse salt and black pepper. Sear the chicken on both sides, until the skin is golden in color and easily removes from the pan. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the onion to the pan with the sherry. Deglaze the pan and sauté the onions in the liquid until it evaporates.
- Next, add the tomatoes, orange zest and herbs. Stir to combine, and return the chicken to the pan.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 35 – 45 minutes, or until the chicken has reached and internal temperature of 165˚F.
Nutrition information is calculated for the chicken only (without the optional picada sauce).
Keywords: dairy free, paleo, easy, healthy, chicken