So it’s been a little while since I’ve posted about the Pinterest challenge. It’s almost like I forgot all about it. As of now, I have only finished this project and started working on my cleaning schedule. I guess I’ll have to get working on the next four things soon.
I chose this project because I had a bunch of blank canvases in our storage closet. I have had them forever and just really didn’t know what to do with them, but then I found this photo on Pinterest with a beautiful – and really expensive – herringbone painting.
I started out by putting some paint on the canvas. I tried to keep things as random looking as I could. I think I put most of the darker colors on first and then filled in with lighter ones, but really I just continued adding different colors where they were needed – letting each layer dry somewhat before putting on more paint to prevent smudging.
After the canvas was completely covered, I let it dry – and looked at it for a while thinking how surprised I was that it didn’t look like a total disaster.
A few days later, I taped out my pattern with painters’ tape. To be completely honest, the herringbone patter was pretty hard to do. So I opted for doing more straight lines and leaving some gaps for the white paint to come. (You can see more of the pattern I went with in the first and following pictures in the post.)
Next, I painting the white paint over the tape (make sure you use better tape than I did so you get smoother lines). I wasn’t completely satisfied with the outcome at this point, so I used a white paint pen to ‘darken’ the white lines and filled in the white rectangles with extra layers of white paint.
Although the project took so much longer than I thought it would, I’m really pleased with the finished product. Now, I just need to decide where to put it…
Last Updated on December 28, 2018 by Melissa Belanger