Meatloaf is a diner classic, so it’s no wonder that it was featured on Gilmore Girls several times. First, in season 1 at Cinnamon’s wake, and again in season 4 when Kirk was doing for his first date with Lulu. Apparently, this meatloaf would pair well with Sookie’s roquefort puffs, but maybe I’ll make them in the future. There are a million meatloaf recipes out there, and even a decent amount of recipes for diner style meatloaf, but none of them seemed to be what I wanted so I made up my own.
I used ground beef and ground pork, similar to what you would use for meatballs, but without the Italian seasonings. Instead, I seasoned this diner style meatloaf with mustard powder and a little bit of ketchup. Normally, I’m not a huge fan of using ketchup (in anything), but I don’t think I should mess with a classic when it comes to diner food. They’re considered diner classics for a reason.
This is the first time I made a meatloaf in a loaf pan. I normally just form it into a loaf shape and bake it on a cookie sheet, but I wanted to try it this way. I don’t know if I’d do it again, but it’s kind of nice that it comes out in a perfect shape. The only downside is that the extra grease from the meat stays in the pan. You can do it whichever way you want.
The ketchup glaze tops it all off, and it’s super simple to make. It’ just ketchup, Dijon mustard (although, you could use yellow mustard if that’s all you have), and brown sugar.Print
Diner Style Meatloaf with Ketchup Glaze
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hours 15 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hours 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 - 8
For the meatloaf:
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup finely diced onion
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup lactose or dairy free milk
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
For the glaze:
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 350˚F and spray a loaf pan (or cookie sheet) with cooking spray.
- Place meatloaf ingredients in a large bowl and mix until thoroughly combined. Transfer to a loaf pan or shape into a loaf on a cookie sheet.
- In a small bowl, mix together glaze ingredients until smooth. Spread evenly over meatloaf before baking.
- Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes or until meatloaf has reached 160˚F.
- Remove from oven and allow it to rest for about 5 minutes for slicing.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg