This dark chocolate cake is a chocolate lovers dream! Full of rich chocolate flavor with dense, moist cake layers and creamy, homemade frosting. This recipe is made from scratch and super easy! With one simple swap, it can also be made vegan.
For the cake:
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup Dutch-process cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 3/4 cups warm water
- 2 large eggs (or 2 prepared flax eggs)
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup dairy free butter (1 stick)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch coarse salt
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 – 2 tablespoons water or milk
To make the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Grease and flour two 9 inch cake pans. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Stir in the oil, warm water, eggs and vanilla extract, whisking until smooth.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two cake pans.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool completely before removing from pan.
To make the frosting:
- With an electric mixer , beat butter, cocoa powder, vanilla extract and salt until light and fluffy.
- Add salt and powdered sugar, about 1/2 cup at a time, until incorporated. Add water or milk until desired consistency is reached.
Keywords: dairy free, vegan option, chocolate, dark chocolate, cake