With a few simple ingredients, you can turn a few cans of crushed tomatoes into decadent and creamy vegan tomato soup without heavy cream. The addition of coconut milk makes this soup silky smooth and rich. It’s perfect for a cold, gloomy day or anytime you’re feeling nostalgic for your childhood favorite.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Pinch of salt
- 3 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 15-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat a large stockpot or Dutch oven to medium high.
- Add olive oil, onion, garlic and a pinch of salt. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and blend soup with an immersion blender until smooth.