This dairy free pound cake is sure to fool you. It’s dense, sweet and just as “buttery” as the real thing. Top it with fresh berries and coconut whipped cream for a perfect summer dessert.
Pound cake is one of those dessert staples that you automatically associate with butter. I mean the name implies how much butter goes into the cake. So it’s kind of hard not to, but luckily, butter is easily swapped with dairy free margarine, vegan butter or vegetable shortening.
My normal go-to is butter flavored vegetable shortening. I mostly choose it because it’s shelf stable, which means it doesn’t need to be refrigerated. I normally stock up on it when my usual grocery store has a deal going (they literally put the coupons on the display for you, so you don’t have to do any work at all).
The recipe I adapted this one from makes one large tube pan cake, but I just wanted to make one simple loaf cake. I cut the recipe in half, which normally doesn’t work, but it did this time. If you want to go back to the larger version, feel free to double it and bake two loaf pans. You could even freeze one loaf and save it for another occasion. But, I only wanted to make one, and only because I needed a sweet cake base for my summer berries.
We skipped out on the whipped cream with our dairy free pound cake this time, and opted for some simple powdered sugar (not pictured), but you can go whichever way you want. Or, you can eat the cake the way it is with no toppings or whipped creams. You don’t really need it.
More dairy free cake recipes:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup butter-flavored vegetable shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350˚F and grease 1 loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream shortening and sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and vanilla extract. Beat until incorporated.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each egg is incorporated before adding the next.
- Add flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time, scraping sides as needed. Beat at medium speed until each addition is incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature before removing cake from pan.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Recipe adapted from Call Me PMC.
Last Updated on