Skip the store bought stuff, and make your own vegan Nutella at home. It only takes about 15 minutes to make a huge amount, and you can control the amount of added sugar while avoiding dairy ingredients. Makes about 3 cups.
The month before we gave up dairy, I ate two pieces of toast slathered in Nutella. I mean we were living in France, and I was 9 months pregnant.
That’s what I was supposed to do, even if it wasn’t the healthiest decision I’ve ever made. Since then, I haven’t thought about eating Nutella. Maybe it was a good thing I overdid it, because it’s not something I could buy anyway.
When I was shopping at Fresh Thyme recently, I noticed that they had hazelnuts in their bulk bins, and it got me thinking about making my own. Not only could I make my own without dairy, but I knew I could probably limit the amount of sugar it would have. That’s a double win in my mind.
Here’s what you’ll need to make chocolate hazelnut spread
How to make homemade Nutella
To make homemade Nutella, you want to start by making a nut butter with your hazelnuts, which is easier than you might think. You’ll want to make sure you’re using hazelnuts with the skins removed.
But, basically, you throw your hazelnuts into a food processor or high speed blender , and process them. They will slowly turn from chopped nuts into a gritty paste. As they blend, the nuts release their oils and it helps to smooth out the spread.
Once the hazelnut butter has reached the gritty stage, I add the rest of my ingredients and continue to blend until it’s all smooth.
Tips for making this vegan Nutella recipe
- Be sure to removed the skins from your hazelnuts before processing.
- Use dairy free chocolate chips to make your Nutella dairy free.
- Pop your Nutella in the fridge to let it set (the Nutella will be thin from the heat created during processing).
You can store the chocolate hazelnut spread in the fridge or in your pantry, but at room temperature, it tends to be a tiny bit runny. I like to take mine out of the fridge a little bit ahead of time to make it a little easier to spread.
To thicken your Nutella more, you can always a bit more powdered sugar, but, keep in mind that it will change the sweetness of it.
Homemade Nutella | This easy recipe makes the best vegan chocolate hazelnut spread. It’s the perfect substitute for baking if you’re dairy free. #dairyfree #vegan
- 1 pound hazelnuts, skins removed
- 3 tablespoons softened coconut oil
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- Place hazelnuts into the bowl of a food processor . Blend until a nut butter has formed.
- Add remaining ingredients and continue to process, until smooth. Scrape sides as needed.
Keywords: dairy free, vegan, gluten free, easy
Last Updated on July 24, 2020 by Melissa Belanger