Nothing pairs better with Indian food than a yeasty, garlic naan bread. Rory Gilmore knows that well. And, she makes sure to order some when she orders Indian takeout while Lorelai is out of town.
The funny thing is, she never actually gets that takeout. Her surprise visitors spoil her night alone, but I have just one question. Does the Indian food ever get delivered? Something to ponder.
Unfortunately for the us, so many contain dairy. Yogurt to be exact. It’s what gives the naan its subtle, tangy flavor. It’s hard to replicate, but it’s doable. I substituted alt-milk and a bit of acid (lemon juice) to mimic the flavor. Then I followed the general directions for making naan bread.
How to make vegan naan bread
The method for this dairy free garlic naan is fairly simple. You activate the yeast, add the rest of the ingredients and mix until a ball forms, and wait for it to rise, just like bread.
Then you separate the dough into individual pieces that get cooked on the stove. The garlic is added as you cook, but you could skip that part if you want plain, fresh naan bread. Fairly simple, right? As long as you have the time, anyone can do it.
It’s been a while since we made this recipe, but each time, it turns out great. I think last time we made it we were having kofta, but you can pretty much pair it with anything.
It’s especially good with curry dishes, and it’s great for sopping up any extra sauce you might leave behind on your plate.Print
Make your favorite garlic naan bread without the dairy. This vegan naan bread recipe is super easy and it make a great side dish for any recipe.
For the vegan naan:
- 1/2 cup warm water (ideally between 105˚F – 110˚F)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (0.25-ounce) package active dry yeast
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup almond milk (or alternative milk of choice)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Coarse salt (optional, for garnish)
- Fresh parsley or cilantro (optional, for garnish)
- In a small bowl, gently stir together water, sugar and yeast. Allow it to activate until it is foamy on top.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer (dough hook), add activated yeast, flour, and remaining ingredients. Beat with dough hook at medium speed until a ball has formed. Remove bowl from mixer and cover with a damp towel. Let sit in a warm place for about 1 hour.
- When dough has doubled in size, divide into eight small balls. Heat a skillet over medium high and stir together garlic and oil.
- Roll each ball to 1/4-inch thickness and place in hot pan, one at a time, brushing with garlic/oil mixture. When dough has started to bubble, flip to other side and brush again with oil. Sprinkle with coarse salt and herbs. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Category: Sides
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: vegan, dairy free, garlic, bread, yeast, dough, fried
Recipe adapted from Half Baked Harvest.
Last Updated on April 2, 2022 by Melissa Belanger
This post contains affiliate links. I may earn commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. I will never recommend a product I don’t use or trust.