This creamy, dairy free chocolate chip ice cream is made with cashew cream and a coconut custard base with crunchy semi-sweet chocolate chips.
I’ve been experimenting with dairy free ice cream recipes all summer. Last month, I shared my rhubarb coconut ice cream, that only used coconut milk to make a nice thick custard base, and I was really happy with the way it turned out. But, I decided to give the whole cashew cream thing a try.
Mostly because I finally found raw cashews at a reasonable price, but also because I want to nail down a basic vanilla ice cream base that I can adapt for different purposes in the future. This one turned out great too. In fact, I think I prefer it to the rhubarb coconut one, but I can’t really be sure because they have such different ingredients and that makes it hard to compare.
To make this dairy free chocolate chip ice cream, I used one cup of prepared cashew cream, which I made using the quick soak method, where you boil water and pour it over the cashews to let them sit for at least an hour (rather than overnight with room temperature water). I basically followed this tutorial, but I added my coconut cream as a measured prepared ingredient.
I intended to make this a simple vanilla ice cream, but at the last minute I threw in some Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips. They’re perfect for adding to ice cream because they are just the right size for a little added crunch in your ice cream. You don’t need to do any chopping at all, and you don’t have to worry about them containing hidden dairy by-products or other allergens.
What you’ll need to make this dairy free chocolate chip ice cream:
Dairy Free Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 2 quarts
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups prepared cashew cream
- 1 15-ounce can coconut milk + 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup dairy free mini chocolate chips
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan , bring cashew cream, coconut milk and maple syrup to a simmer, whisking occasionally.
- Pour about 1 cup of milk mixture into the egg mixture, whisking continuously to temper yolks. Continue with an additional cup of milk mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Transfer tempered yolk/milk mixture back to saucepan and whisk until incorporated.
- Return saucepan to a simmer, whisking occasionally, until mixture has thickened (liquid should coat back of a spoon). Remove from heat and allow to cool in saucepan.
- Transfer mixture to an airtight container and refrigerate until cold.
- Churn in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions, adding in chocolate chips as machine churns. Freeze until ready to eat.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg