These easy banana cupcakes are sweet, fluffy and full of banana flavor with a hint of spice and topped with creamy banana frosting. Garnish with banana chips and chopped nuts, or leave them plain for a simple treat. Either way, they’re sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Why I love these banana cupcakes
Let’s just be honest. We all know that banana bread is really just cake without frosting, right? I’m totally ok with that, especially if it makes it acceptable for me to eat cake for breakfast.
But, sometimes, you just need frosting, and these banana cupcakes – with just a hint of spice – are perfect for the banana lover in your life. They’re even topped with actual banana frosting. Not just a boring vanilla frosting, there’s actual banana in it.
They’d be an awesome birthday treat, but you don’t really need to use a holiday as an excuse for a cupcake.
Here’s what you’ll need to make them
How to make banana cupcakes
Whisk the dry ingredients. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, pie spice – you can use just cinnamon if you want – and salt and whisk to distribute everything evenly.
Mix the wet ingredients. Mash the banana and mix it, using an electric mixer , with the oil, yogurt, and sugar until combined. Then, beat in the eggs and vanilla extract until smooth.
Combine the wet and dry. Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, mixing each addition, until the flour is fully incorporated.
Bake the cupcakes. Divide the cupcake batter between 18 paper liners – they should be able 2/3 full – and bake the cupcakes for 20 – 22 minutes.
When they’re done, an inserted toothpick should come out clean and the tops should bounce back easily when pressed. Remove the cupcakes from the oven and let them cool completely before frosting.
Make the banana frosting. With an electric mixer , beat the remaining mashed banana with shortening or butter, pie spice and salt until light and fluffy. Then add powdered sugar, about 1/2 cup at a time, until you reach your desired consistency.
FAQs and tips for making the best banana cupcakes
There really isn’t much of a difference, other than the frosting included in this cake recipe. Some banana breads can be made with denser flours, or the addition of oats – like my vegan banana bread – but in general banana bread is very similar to cake.
If you need to ripen a banana quickly, you can bake it in the oven at a low temperature (about 300˚F) for about 15 minutes. Make sure you leave the peel on.
Banana frosting is easy to make from scratch. Start with mashed banana, and mix it with butter (or shortening) and powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. See recipe below for more detailed instructions.
More banana recipes you’ll love:
- Bananas foster pancakes
- Chocolate peanut butter banana milkshake
- Chocolate banana muffins
- Vegan banana pudding
- Banana berry smoothie
More dairy free cupcakes:
- Raspberry cupcakes
- Coconut cupcakes
- Homemade funfetti cupcakes
- Strawberry lemonade cupcakes
- Oreo cupcakes
These easy banana cupcakes are sweet, fluffy and full of banana flavor with a hint of spice and topped with creamy banana frosting. Garnish with banana chips and chopped nuts, or leave them plain for a simple treat.
For the cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plain coconut yogurt
- 1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana, about 3 medium bananas
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening or vegan butter
- 1 mashed banana
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pie spice
- 4 – 5 cups powdered sugar
For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350˚F and line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a mixing bowl , whisk the flour, pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt to combine.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer , mix the oil, yogurt, sugars, and mashed banana until smooth.
- Add egg and vanilla beating until combined.
- Mix in the flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time, scraping the sides as needed, until combined.
- Transfer batter to baking liners and bake for 20 – 22 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before frosting.
For the frosting:
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer , beat vegetable shortening or vegan butter with banana, salt and pie spice until light and fluffy.
- Add about 1/2 cup sugar at a time and beat until incorporated. Continue until you reach your desired consistency.
Keywords: dairy free, banana, cupcake
Last Updated on February 10, 2021 by Melissa Belanger