This dairy free banana snack cake is so easy to make and it’s creamy layer of frosting will satisfy your sweet tooth in an instant.
I know. I’m crazy for sharing a sweet treat recipe in January, but we’re a few weeks in, so I’m guessing some of you have decided to chill out a little on those resolutions. Besides, this banana snack cake recipe is so good, I just had to share it. And it’s dairy free, so if giving up dairy is your resolution this year, I’ve got you covered.
I had originally intended this recipe to be a banana blondies, but it just didn’t work out. The baking powder I added made it rise and get all fluffy (I should have known that). But, the result was a perfectly spiced, dairy free banana snack cake. And, we enjoyed every single bite of it.
I love snack cakes because they are simple, and require very little effort in the frosting department. Even if you appreciate a pretty, decorated cake, they can be so time consuming. I really try to stay away from them unless I’m baking for a really special occasion (like a first birthday). That’s why I love snack cakes. Just a quick spread of frosting, and you’re done.
How to make dairy free banana snack cake:
To make this dairy free banana snack cake, I mashed one large banana, but you could you two smaller ones if that’s what you have. Either way, you need about 1/2 cup mashed. You don’t even need an electric mixer for this one, just a big bowl and a whisk. I also used pumpkin pie spice to make measuring the spices a little easier.
The frosting is made in a saucepan, to make it nice and thick. You need to let it set before cutting the cake. Don’t be like me and get impatient because it will make a mess. Once it’s set, it reminds me of the frosting on a butterscotch krimpet, but without all the chemicals and dairy.
Spiced Dairy Free Banana Snack Cake
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 16 servings
For the cake:
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup brown sugar (not packed)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pie spice
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large banana (about 1/2 cup), mashed
For the frosting:
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Pinch of salt
For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350˚F and line a 9×13 baking dish with parchment paper .
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, brown sugar and salt until smooth.
- Add egg, vanilla and pie spice. Whisk until smooth.
- Add flour and banana, and continue to whisk until smooth.
- Transfer batter to baking dish and bake for 25 – 30 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
For the frosting:
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil and brown sugar, whisking until sugar has melted. Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients, whisking until smooth.
- Spread frosting over cooled cake and allow it to set before cutting cake.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg