A few easy swaps make this dairy free baked potato soup as good as the real deal, and you won’t miss the heavy cream.
Giving up creamy soups was something I did not want to do when we went dairy free. There’s nothing I used to crave more than cheesy broccoli soup on a cold day, but honestly, I’ve gotten over it.
I’ve also found that there are so many was to recreate a creamy soup without real cream. Plus, it makes my occasional bowl of cheesy soup at a restaurant that much better. This dairy free baked potato soup is a complete dupe for the real thing, and you won’t even know there’s something “missing”.
I’ve made this soup several times with different kinds of milks. I think my favorite is cashew milk (I think it’s a bit creamier than almond milk, but maybe it’s just in my head).
Lactose free milk is a great swap if it suits your diet. We usually use what we have on hand so it varies. This time we made the soup with cashew milk, and I used real cheese for my own topping.
A word on the bacon: you can use precooked bacon in this recipe, but it’s not the best choice. For some reason, when you cook the precooked stuff into the soup, the pieces tend to get a little rubbery or chewy.
I would really recommend cooking up so crispy bacon for this part, and maybe using store-bought bacon bits for the topping. If you do have to use precooked in the soup itself, make sure you chop it into smaller pieces so you don’t get a big chewy bite.
As far as toppings go, we normally go with real cheese (for me), bacon bits, and chives or green onion. Marc swears he doesn’t miss the cheese on top, so I figure it’s not worth splurging on the vegan cheese shreds when he doesn’t even want them.
The choice is yours, if you really hoping for the cheese, go ahead and splurge on those shreds. You won’t be sorry.
More potato recipes:
- Vegan scalloped potatoes
- Healthy sweet potato casserole
- Dairy free mashed potatoes
- Potato leek soup with ham
More dairy free soup recipes:
- Chicken pho recipe
- Creamy asparagus soup
- Wisconsin booyah
- Chicken tortilla soup
- Creamy tomato soup
- Vegetable beef barley soup
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt, divided
- 6 – 8 cooked bacon slices, chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 large russet potatoes, scrubbed and cubed
- 3 cups dairy free milk
- Black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Sliced green onions
- Chopped cooked bacon
- Vegan cheese shreds
- n a small bowl, whisk together flour and 1/2 cup chicken broth. Set aside.
- In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil to medium-high. Add onion, celery, carrot and 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until softened – about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add garlic and bacon. Continue to sauté until bacon is creating brown bits in pan.
- Add potatoes, remaining chicken broth and milk. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 – 30 minutes, or until potatoes are soft.
- Add flour-broth mixture (stir before adding if needed). Stir soup and continue to simmer until thickened – about 5 minutes.
- Season with remaining salt, black pepper and parsley.
Lactose or dairy milk/cheese can be used if you don’t want to make the recipe dairy free.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Last Updated on