My sister’s car was in the shop for the past few weeks, so I put the extra car seat base in my car so we could run errands together with both of our babies. We went to Walmart, the mall and Costco, with the intention of also going to the grocery store on our way home, but after we left Costco – where I bought the watermelon for this recipe and almost bought a 53-inch teddy bear for Ellie before coming to my senses – we had a very intense car ride and decided to bail on the groceries.
From the minute we left Costco, both Ellie and Lucy took turns wailing, feeding off of each other’s cries. At one point, I hopped into the backseat – Theresa was driving, I was not – and wedged myself between the two car seats, attempting to rock one car seat while shushing the other. Meanwhile, the a/c was blasting and my sister was trying to play lullaby music from her phone. It was the most dramatic car ride of my life.
Needless to say, it was a lot of work getting this watermelon home to make sorbet. Luckily, the actual making of the sorbet wasn’t. In fact, it was a piece of cake. All you need to do is blend up the watermelon and strawberries and mix them with some coconut milk and simple syrup. Then you churn the mixture in an ice cream maker. That’s it.
The watermelon mellows out the sweetness of the strawberries, and the coconut creates a light, creamy texture. It’s creamy, cool and refreshing, but not too sweet. And, it’s perfect for this unbearably hot weather we’ve been having. Whip some up for yourself, you’ll see.Print
- 5 cups cubed seedless watermelon
- 4 cups hulled and halved strawberries
- 1 14-ounce can light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Working in batches, puree the watermelon and strawberries in a food processor or blender. Add puree to a large pitcher.
- In a small saucepan heat 1/2 cup of water with the sugar, stirring frequently, until sugar has dissolved.
- Add the coconut milk and simple syrup to the pitcher. Stir to combine.
- Refrigerate mixture for at least 1 hour. Churn the sorbet in an ice cream maker, according to the manufacturer’s directions. Serve immediately or freeze for later.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Last Updated on July 23, 2018 by Melissa Belanger