This creamy, dairy free mac and cheese is so easy to make. It uses simple ingredients like nutritional yeast, cheddar shreds (we used Daiya), one secret ingredient that gives it the best tasting “cheese” sauce. No cashews, cauliflower or veggies. It’s the perfect vegan dinner for when you’re craving comfort food.
- 1 pound elbow
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup unsweetened vegan yogurt
- 1 7-ounce package vegan cheddar shreds
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Cook macaroni in salted water according to package directions for al dente.
- In a large saucepan , melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour to make a roux.
- Add milk and whisk until smooth. Increase heat to medium high and cook until milk has thickened – about 5 – 6 minutes.
- Stir in 3 1/2 cups of shredded cheese, reserving the rest for serving.
- Toss pasta with cheese sauce and garnish each helping with reserved shredded cheese.