It’s been well over a year since my husband decided to give up dairy (although its more like just giving up lactose). We’ve done fairly well buying lactose free milk and ice cream, and making recipes with coconut milk and other alt milks.
But, one of the things I’ve struggled to find replacements for is cheese and dips. Sure, there’s hummus and guacamole, but something about a creamy cheesy dip is just so good. And, we haven’t ventured into the whole vegan cheese scene because the cost just doesn’t seem worth it.
Luckily, lactose-free cottage cheese exists. It’s totally awesome. We didn’t really eat cottage cheese that often before, but I’ve found that my smoothing it out in my food processor creates a perfect ricotta-like texture.
So I’ve substituted it for that, and I made this cottage cheese ranch dip over the Christmas holidays. It’s going to be my new go-to for dips since we can both it eat.
For this particular dip, I added basic ranch ingredients – chives, parsley, lemon juice and paprika, but I’d imagine the possibilities are endless here.
Onion dip, hot crab and spinach dips. They would all totally work with this recipe base. I can’t wait to try them out, too.Print
- 1 16-ounce container lactose free cottage cheese (or vegan ricotta)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives (about 1/2 a small bunch) + more finely chopped, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (about 1 handful)
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- In a food processor or blender, combine all ingredients. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl and garnish with remaining chives.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Last Updated on