These easy cornbread pancakes topped with homemade cinnamon syrup are a flavorful twist on a classic breakfast favorite. These sweet, fluffy cornmeal pancakes are made from scratch, no Jiffy mix necessary. They’re dairy free, but this recipe also has directions for how to make them vegan.
For the pancakes:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cup dairy free milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg (or egg replacement, for vegan)
For the syrup:
- 1 cup pancake syrup
- 1 tablespoon vegan buttery spread
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a small saucepan , heat buttery spread, pancake syrup and cinnamon on low heat until buttery spread is melted. Whisk or stir until butter is incorporated into the syrup. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in the milk, oil, vanilla and egg. Whisk until smooth.
- Preheat a non-stick griddle or large skillet to medium heat. (Coat pan with butter or oil if not using non-stick). Pour 1/4 – 1/3 cup batter onto the griddle for each pancake. Allow it to cook until bubbles are visible throughout the pancake before flipping. Repeat until all batter has been used. (To keep cooked pancakes warm, place them in an oven set to 150F – 200F or on a plate tented with foil)
- Serve pancakes immediately and top with cinnamon syrup.
Keywords: dairy free, vegan option, easy, cornbread, cinnamon