Classic homemade pancakes get a flavorful twist with these dairy free cornbread pancakes topped with homemade cinnamon syrup. They’re a great change of pace for your weekend breakfast, and they’ll be a favorite for cornbread lovers.
For literally two years now, I’ve been dying to make cornbread muffins. Occasionally, I’ll put it on my “to cook” list, and I’ll buy the ingredients only to put them in the cabinet and never think of them again. I don’t know why that always happens, but I guess I get distracted. So instead of baking them, I thought I’d turn my favorite breakfast muffins into a pancake.
The recipe is pretty simple. It’s just a basic pancake made with cornmeal instead of boring, all-purpose flour, but the final outcome is anything but boring. It’s sweet, yet slightly savory, and the texture is phenomenal – just like real cornbread should be. To really amp things up, I made a little bit of cinnamon syrup by warming some pancake syrup with a bit of buttery spread and adding just enough cinnamon to compliment the flavors in the cornbread pancakes.
How to make dairy free cornbread pancakes:
I’ve updated this recipe to make it dairy free with one simple swap. Instead of using cow’s milk, I use almond or coconut milk. You can use any alternative milk you want, or you can stick to cow’s milk if you want. Do what’s best for your diet. The recipe will come out great either way.
To make the pancakes, I used my new double griddle pan on medium/medium-low with no butter, oil or cooking spray. Just put the batter directly on the griddle and the pancakes come out beautifully.
How do you make the best cornbread pancakes?
I let my husband make them. He’s the best pancake flipper ever. He never burns them, he never destroys a pancake when he’s flipping. And, they always come out so much prettier when he makes them. I’m impressed every time. Do you ever have trouble flipping the pancakes like I do?
Cornbread Pancakes with Cinnamon Syrup
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4
For the pancakes:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cup almond or coconut milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
For the syrup:
- 1 cup pancake syrup
- 1 tablespoon vegan buttery spread
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a small saucepan , heat buttery spread, pancake syrup and cinnamon on low heat until buttery spread is melted. Whisk or stir until butter is incorporated into the syrup. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in the milk, oil, vanilla and egg. Whisk until smooth.
- Preheat a non-stick griddle or large skillet to medium heat. (Coat pan with butter or oil if not using non-stick). Pour 1/4 – 1/3 cup batter onto the griddle for each pancake. Allow it to cook until bubbles are visible throughout the pancake before flipping. Repeat until all batter has been used. (To keep cooked pancakes warm, place them in an oven set to 150F – 200F or on a plate tented with foil)
- Serve pancakes immediately and top with cinnamon syrup.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker.