These easy, homemade oreo cupcakes are insanely delicious and indulgent. Dense, homemade white cake is mixed with crushed oreos and topped with a rich, cookies and cream frosting. #dairyfree #cupcakes
For the Oreo cupcakes:
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup vegan sour cream or unsweetened vegan yogurt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 8 Oreos, crushed
For the cookies and cream frosting:
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 5 – 6 tablespoons vegan sour cream or unsweetened vegan yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 8 Oreos, crushed or processed
- Preheat oven to 350˚F and line a muffin tin with baking cups.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat the sugar, sour cream or yogurt, oil, egg and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Mix the flour mixture into the wet ingredients, about one cup at a time, beating until each addition has been fully incorporated. Stir in cookie pieces.
- Divide batter equally between 12 baking cups and bake cupcakes for 18 – 20 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
For the frosting:
- In a large bowl, beat the shortening, sour cream or yogurt and vanilla extract until smooth and fluffy.
- Add salt and powdered sugar, about 1 cup at a time, and mix until each addition has been fully incorporated.
Keywords: dairy free, vegan option, cupcakes