If you’re a chocolate lover, you are going to love this easy double chocolate chip cookies recipe. It makes the perfectly soft and chewy cookies, and since they’re made with no butter, they’re easily made dairy free and vegan.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips*
- Preheat oven to 350˚F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream the shortening and the sugars until light and fluffy – about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs (or flax egg), vanilla and cocoa powder. Continue beating until combined.
- Add flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time, scrapping sides with a rubber spatula, as needed.
- Using a cookie scoop, drop 2-tablespoon sized balls of dough a few inches apart on the lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 – 11 minutes. Remove cookies and allow them to cool on the cookie sheet for about 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
* Be sure to use dairy free chocolate chips
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 144
- Sugar: 10.7 g
- Sodium: 105 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 17.8 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 1.8 g
- Cholesterol: 10.3 mg
Keywords: cookies, dairy free, chocolate, chocolate chip cookies, double chocolate cookies