This Mexican-inspired, spicy chicken soup is the perfect healthy soup recipe for fall. It’s made with creamy pumpkin and spicy chipotle peppers, and loaded with hearty rotisserie chicken, beans and vegetables.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 large carrot, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 large celery stalk (about 1/2 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
- 4 cups shredded chicken
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce (from chipotle pepper can)
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups corn kernels, thawed if frozen
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- In a large stockpot, heat olive oil to medium.
- Add onion, celery, carrots and garlic.
- Sauté until onions are translucent – about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and pumpkin puree – stirring until smooth.
- Stir in chicken, chipotle peppers, black beans, corn kernels, cumin, and salt.
- Bring to a slow boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for ten minutes.
- Top with shredded cheese and cilantro before serving.
Keywords: dairy free, healthy, easy, rotisserie chicken, chicken