The weather is finally starting to cool down, and it’s almost fall. I’m loving the weather change. It’s finally time for cozy clothes – scarves, boots, sweaters. Time for pumpkins, apples, warm drinks and soup. Pumpkin soup to be exact. But I’m not 100 percent ready for a season change. So this soup gives you a little of both worlds. A summery kick of chipotle peppers and corn mixed with a warm, velvety richness of pumpkin.
I used a rotisserie chicken to make the soup this time, but you could use leftover chicken if you have it. I just really wanted soup for dinner and fast – so the rotisserie shortcut did the trick this time. Top it off with some fresh cilantro and shredded cheddar cheese and you have a delicious, hearty meal in just about 30 minutes (okay… 35 but who’s counting when it comes to something so good?)
If you don’t want the soup to be too spicy, leave out one or both of the chipotle peppers – but don’t skip on the adobo sauce unless you really can’t handle the heat because you want to keep the flavor of the chipotle adobo sauce.Print
Chipotle Chicken & Pumpkin Soup
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 8 -12
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 large carrot, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 large celery stalk (about 1/2 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
- 4 cups shredded chicken
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce (from chipotle pepper can)
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups corn kernels, thawed if frozen
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese (or shredded cheddar cheese)
- In a large stockpot, heat olive oil to medium.
- Add onion, celery, carrots and garlic.
- Sauté until onions are translucent – about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and pumpkin puree – stirring until smooth.
- Stir in chicken, chipotle peppers, black beans, corn kernels, cumin, and salt.
- Bring to a slow boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for ten minutes.
- Top with shredded cheese and cilantro before serving.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Recipe adapted from Budget Bytes.