Why I love this spicy chicken soup
The weather is finally starting to cool down, and it’s almost fall. I’m loving the weather change. It’s finally time for cozy clothes – scarves, boots, sweaters. Time for pumpkins, apples, warm drinks and soup.
Pumpkin soup to be exact. But I’m not 100 percent ready for a season change. So this soup gives you a little of both worlds. A summery kick of chipotle peppers and corn mixed with a warm, velvety richness of pumpkin.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this healthy chicken soup
As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases at no added cost to you. Affiliate links will be noted as such, and I will never recommend a product that I don’t use or trust.
How to make spicy chicken soup
I used a rotisserie chicken to make the soup this time, but you could use leftover chicken if you have it. I just really wanted soup for dinner and fast – so the rotisserie shortcut did the trick this time.
Top it off with some fresh cilantro and you have a delicious, hearty meal in just about 30 minutes (okay… 35 but who’s counting when it comes to something so good?)
FAQ’s and tips for making spicy chicken soup
If you don’t want the soup to be too spicy, leave out one or both of the chipotle peppers – but don’t skip on the adobo sauce unless you really can’t handle the heat because you want to keep the flavor of the chipotle adobo sauce.
A hard crusty and hearty bread roll would be great served alongside this soup. A nice sweet cornbread or pumpkin loaf would also pair well!
If you keep your soup in an airtight container in the fridge you can expect it to last anywhere between 3 and 5 days and be just fine.
Yes you can! This soup can freeze very well. After your soup has cooled completely sort it out into serving size or meal size and pour it into a freezer friendly airtight container and keep stored for up to 3 months. Thaw, reheat and enjoy.
Pumpkin recipes to try
- Vegan Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Dairy Free Pumpkin Pie
- Pumpkin Pecan Streusel Bread
- Pumpkin Mashed Potatoes
- Rosemary Pumpkin Dinner Rolls
Delicious chicken recipes
- Chinese Cashew Chicken
- Garlic Baked Chicken Legs
- Chicken Cobb Salad
- Baked Chicken Parmesan
- Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
More soup recipes you’ll love
- New Years Black Eyed Pea Soup
- Dairy Free Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Vegetable Beef Barley Soup
- Creamy Dairy Free Tomato Soup
- Creamy Zucchini Basil Soup
Spicy Chicken Soup
This Mexican-inspired, spicy chicken soup is the perfect healthy soup recipe for fall. It’s made with creamy pumpkin and spicy chipotle peppers, and loaded with hearty rotisserie chicken, beans and vegetables.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 8 –12 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 large carrot, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 large celery stalk (about 1/2 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
- 4 cups shredded chicken
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce (from chipotle pepper can)
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups corn kernels, thawed if frozen
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- In a large stockpot, heat olive oil to medium.
- Add onion, celery, carrots and garlic.
- Sauté until onions are translucent – about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and pumpkin puree – stirring until smooth.
- Stir in chicken, chipotle peppers, black beans, corn kernels, cumin, and salt.
- Bring to a slow boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for ten minutes.
- Top with shredded cheese and cilantro before serving.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 214
- Sugar: 4.1 g
- Sodium: 139.4 mg
- Fat: 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 17.7 g
- Fiber: 4.7 g
- Protein: 20.1 g
- Cholesterol: 39.2 mg
Keywords: dairy free, healthy, easy, rotisserie chicken, chicken
Recipe adapted from Budget Bytes.
Last Updated on October 16, 2021 by Melissa Belanger