With this easy recipe for Chinese cashew chicken, you can avoid paying for takeout ever again, and you’ll know exactly what’s in your food.
I originally intended this recipe to a be a Friday Night Dinner post, but after testing and photography it, I was searching for the episode number that cashew chicken was mentioned in, and it turns out, it was never mentioned in the show. Joke’s on me. There was literally an episode where the girls ordered everything from the chicken column on their Chinese menu, and they mention so many Chinese dishes by name and cashew chicken specifically. Garlic chicken and kung pao chicken, but not cashew chicken.
We’ll save those recipes for another day, because this Chinese cashew chicken is still totally amazing. It’s equally as good as my Chinese chicken and broccoli recipe, but it has a nuttiness (duh) and a hint of sweetness to it. Plus, there are veggies. Lots of vegetables to make you feel good about yourself.
Since it’s naturally dairy free, as most Asian-style foods are, we don’t have to make an crazy substitutions or adjustments. We can enjoy this recipe exactly as is.
You can serve this with any you want, but I would suggest some simple Jasmine rice because it tastes the most like Chinese takeout white rice. If you want round out the meal even more try an basic salad with some ginger dressing.
Chinese Cashew Chicken
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4
For the sauce:
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth (or water)
For the chicken:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 pounds chopped chicken tenders or breast
- 1 head broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2/3 cup cashew halves and pieces
- 1 8-ounce can sliced water chestnuts
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sauce ingredients. Set aside.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet or wok. Add chicken and cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Add broccoli and bell pepper to skillet. Sauté until tender, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients to pan with sauce and chicken. Cook until heated through and sauce has thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
*Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links.