This easy chicken tortilla soup recipe is a quick and healthy dinner idea. You can make it as spicy, or as mild, as you want, and it only takes 30 minutes to make on the stove top. Makes 16 servings.
Why I love this tortilla soup recipe:
Soup has been my friend lately. Maybe even my best friend. It’s easy and healthy and it’s all made in one pot. My newest variation is a chicken tortilla soup, which I’ve made several times now, and it’s perfectly spicy and full of flavor.
But, let’s be real here. There real reason I love it so much is that it’s another excuse to eat cilantro. Yes, I pile it on. You don’t have to – I promise the soup is really great without – but it does pair really well with it. Totally up to you.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this easy chicken tortilla soup:
- Dutch oven
- Chef’s knife
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups
This recipe makes a lot of soup, which means you’re going to have leftovers. You can either freeze them or keep them in the fridge to eat throughout the week, but, either way, you’re definitely going to need storage containers.
How to make tortilla soup
Prep your ingredients
Even though it’s called easy chicken tortilla soup, this recipe requires a decent amount of chopping, but one you’ve done that, cooking it is super easy.
I recommend doing all the chopping (other than the garnish) before you start cooking, but you can chop the fresh cilantro while the soup simmers.
Sauté the vegetables
Begin by heating a large dutch oven to medium-high heat. Add olive oil and sauté the onion, carrot, celery, and bell pepper.
Stir occasionally as they cook, until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic and continue to cook for about 2 minutes.
Simmer the soup
Next, add the remaining ingredients and cover the pot. Increase the heat and bring your soup to a boil. Then, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes.
Before serving, top each bowl of soup with chopped fresh cilantro and crushed tortilla chips. Other toppings that would be great on this include: avocado, diced red onion, lime wedges, hot sauce, sour cream & cheese (be sure to use vegan if you’re dairy free).
FAQS & Tips for making chicken tortilla soup:
Can I make this soup mild?
You can easily customize the spice level of this soup. I used two cans of tomatoes with green chilies, but if want to tone it down a notch, feel free to replace one or both of those cans with some plain diced tomatoes.
How can I make this soup gluten free?
This soup should be naturally gluten free, but you’ll want to double check and make sure all of your ingredients are gluten free, especially the broth since not all commercial brands are gluten free. Always check your labels.
Can I freeze this chicken tortilla soup recipe?
You can absolutely freeze this recipe. Just wait to garnish until you’re ready to eat, since fresh cilantro and tortilla chips won’t withstand freezing.Print
This easy chicken tortilla soup is a quick and healthy rotisserie chicken recipe. It only takes 30 minutes on the stove top and you can make it as spicy as you want. Easily made gluten free. #rotisseriechicken #soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 whole cooked rotisserie chicken (meat only, roughly chopped)
- Crushed tortilla chips, for garnish
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- In a large stockpot or dutch over, heat olive oil to medium high. Add onions, celery, carrot and bell pepper. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent – about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté for an additional two minutes.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, cumin, oregano, paprika and bay leaves. Cover pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 – 20 minutes, or until carrots and celery are tender.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for an additional 15 minutes, or until fully heated.
- To serve, top each bowl with a small amount of crushed tortilla chips and cilantro.
Keywords: healthy, spicy, easy, dairy free
Last Updated on