I learned how to make caprese salad back when I was working at my parents’ Italian deli, and I made an awful lot of it during those years. We made a batch of it at least everyday – sometimes more. I typically don’t even measure anything for this recipe – I usually just go by taste. In fact, my friend Erin – who worked with me at the deli – still calls me every time she makes it. Just to make sure she’s making it right.
Anyway, when my family bought the deli, the Italian lady who sold it to us taught us how to make all of her recipes before she turned over the keys, and we continued to make a lot of the menu items the same way she did. This is one of those recipes – and it calls for avocado. I had never had avocado in caprese salad, but once I started adding I was hooked. It’s so creamy and flavorful, and somehow it goes great with the mozzarella. Hopefully you will like it just as much as I do.Print
- 2 10-ounce packages grape or cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 8-ounce packages fresh mozzarella cheese pearls
- 1 avocado, pitted, peel and chopped
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes with the olive oil and spices – stirring to evenly distribute the seasoning and oil.
- Add mozzarella pearls.
- Just before serving add avocado and stir to coat.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg