I found this recipe ages ago on Pinterest, and I’ve been wanting to make it ever since. But when we were in France I found it hard to find butternut squash when it was out-of-season. So when I saw some precut at the grocery store the other day, I decided it was finally time to make it. It ended up being even better than I thought, and I can’t wait to make it again.
Using the butternut squash in the sauce makes the dish a really flavorful and healthy way to eat your vegetables – with pasta. The flavors of the fennel (in the Italian sausage) work so well with the flavor of the butternut squash and they are enhanced even more by the hint of sage in the sauce.
The recipe calls for 12 ounces of butternut squash, but I think you could definitely used up to 1 pound if you had it. We just found a package that size, so that’s what we used.
Butternut Squash Pasta with Italian Sausage and Fresh Spinach
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 12 ounces cubed butternut squash (about 1 inch pieces)
- 1 pound pasta of choice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound fresh spinach leaves
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons grated pecorino romano cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Boil salted water in a large pot and cook butternut squash until soft.
- Remove from water and puree in food processor or blender.
- Cook pasta in the water according to package directions – reserving 1 cup of pasta water for sauce.
- In a large skillet , sauté sausage in 1 tablespoon olive oil – when cooked and broken into small pieces, remove from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining olive oil to pan and sauté the garlic, shallots and crushed red pepper until golden.
- Add spinach to pan and begin to wilt.
- While the spinach wilts, add butternut squash, sage, and salt & pepper to the skillet.
- Loosen sauce with pasta water (1/2 cup at a time) and stir in pecorino.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Recipe adapted from Skinny Taste.