After being away from North America for so long, I’ve found that I’ve missed out on a few recent developments in grocery shopping. One of these such developments is broccoli slaw – wonderful ready to use pre-cut broccoli slaw packages. They are perfect for making a quick meal or side dish.
I picked up a few bags the other day at the grocery store with no idea of what I would make, but I ended up whipping together a quick and easy broccoli slaw stir fry with a garlic-ginger teriyaki sauce. The best part? Barely any vegetable chopping… and the water chestnuts.
Serve with white rice or your favorite Asian-style noodle for a full meal.
*Update: Just a quick note on the stir-fry sauce. I used a store-bought stir fry sauce for this recipe. From what I’ve noticed in the past, there are two different kinds of stir fry sauce at typical grocery stores – sauce and sauce/marinade. I believe the marinade type sauces are a little too runny for this recipe, but I can’t say I’ve tried every type so use your best judgment (and if you need a thickener try a little bit of cornstarch whisked with a little liquid to prevent lumps).
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 12-ounce packages broccoli slaw
- 1 1/2 cup stir fry sauce
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 can sliced water chestnuts
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Marinate the sliced chicken in 2 tablespoons of soy sauce for at least thirty minutes.
- In a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat, sauté the garlic and ginger in the oil until fragrant – about 30 seconds.
- Add sliced chicken with soy sauce and cook until no longer pink – stirring frequently.
- Add broccoli slaw and continue cooking – stirring frequently.
- Add stir fry sauce, water chestnuts and green onions.
- Cook until slaw has reached desired tenderness and sauce has thickened – about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Last Updated on