These blueberry cardamom frozen sandwiches are a creative twist on a classic childhood dessert. They’re made with just a few, dairy free ingredients and dipped in chocolate. They are a perfect treat for a hot summer day. Makes 12 – 14 sandwiches.
Summer desserts can be a tricky thing when you’re living dairy free. With the exception of a few, delicious frozen desserts, classic store-bought treats tend to be off limits, but when the summer heat hits, I want nothing to do with baking. Instead, I’ve turned to creating my own frozen treats using my favorite store-bought ingredients and dairy free products.
So, when So Delicious Dairy Free came out with their five new frozen dessert flavors, I was super excited. I absolutely love their products, and I’ve made some awesome recipes using their products in the past, including these dairy free salted caramel buster bars.
Initially, I planned on working with the cold brew flavor (because how awesome is cold brew?) to create a grown-up dessert recipe, but when I tasted the blueberry cardamom flavor, I was easily swayed. The gentle, spiciness of the cardamom pairs so well with the blueberry that you would think the two were made for each other.
I paired the frozen dessert with store-bought graham crackers to create blueberry cardamom frozen sandwiches. It’s a fun twist on a childhood favorite, and with only a few ingredients, they’re super simple to make. No bowl or spoon required for eating. They’d also be great for a Fourth of July party or an allergy friendly kid’s birthday party.
How to make blueberry cardamom frozen sandwiches
To make these sandwiches, line a baking dish (about 9×13 in size) with parchment paper . Then place graham cracker squares in a single layer. You may need to trim graham crackers to fit your pan. You can break them to size and use a serrated knife to trim any rough edges, if needed.
Gently spread the thawed So Delicious dessert over the crackers and layer more graham crackers on top. You’ll want to make sure you layer the top crackers to match the bottom layer. That way, you can cut between the lines of the graham crackers for a perfectly sliced sandwich. Freeze them for two hours before cutting the sandwiches apart.
While they’re freezing, make the [dairy free] magic shell:
To make the magic shell, melt 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips with 1/3 cup coconut oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir as much as you can, so nothing gets stuck. Remove the pan from heat and transfer the magic shell to a bowl. You need it to be as close to room temperature as you can get it before dipping your sandwiches. When you’re ready, dip and place on a piece of parchment or wax paper, and pop them back in to the freezer to solidify the shell.
Once they’re completely frozen, you can serve them immediately, or wrap them individually for a perfectly-portioned treat.
Tips for making these blueberry cardamom frozen sandwiches:
- Make sure your freezer is nice and cold. This might seem like a no-brainer, but freezer temperatures can actually vary a lot. A good way to tell is if your frozen dessert was super hard and frozen before you thawed it, you’re good. If it was slightly soft, you might want to turn your temperature down. This will re-freeze the frozen dessert much faster and prevent the graham crackers from getting soggy.
- For gluten free alternatives to graham crackers, try this store bought variety or make your own with this recipe.
- 2 pints So Delicious Dairy Free Blueberry Cardamom Frozen Dessert
- Graham cracker squares (store-bought or homemade)
- 1 cup dairy free chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- Allow frozen dessert to partially thaw until it is spreadable in texture. Line a baking dish with parchment paper or plastic wrap.
- Place one layer of graham crackers in baking dish. Gently spread frozen dessert over graham crackers and top with a second layer of graham crackers. Cover and freeze for a minimum of 2 hours.
- While sandwiches are freezing, prepare magic shell. Heat chocolate chips and coconut oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until melted. Allow to cool completely before dipping.
- Remove from baking dish and cut into sandwiches with a sharp knife, trimming off any excess. Dip into magic shell and place on parchment or wax paper and freeze until ready to eat.
Wrap prepared frozen sandwiches in parchment, wax paper or plastic wrap and seal in an airtight container or zip-top bag until ready to serve.
Last Updated on