Since I’ve been back at home in Wisconsin now, my mom and I have made this berry rhubarb crisp a few times with the rhubarb from her garden. Once with just strawberries, and this past time with strawberries and blueberries. I have to say that – while both were really good – the mixed berry one was my favorite. The different flavors meld together really well and make the dessert just perfectly sweet and slightly tangy.
The topping comes from my Aunt Jayne’s recipe for apple crisp which I will share one day when its apple season again. It’s my absolute favorite topping and it’s easy to make. I’ve already gone ahead and doubled it for you in the recipe which is what I always do – it’s that good.
You could easily substitute any kind of fruit – peaches, apples, kiwi, other berries – to make this as well. Use whatever you have on hand.
Berry Rhubarb Crisp
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hours
- Total Time: 1 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: 8 -12
For the filling:
- 4 cups chopped rhubarb (1 inch pieces)
- 4 cups quartered strawberries
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
For the topping:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter (not-quite room temperature)
- Preheat oven to 350˚F (180˚C).
- In a large bowl, combine fruit, sugar and zest.
- Whisk 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with the orange juice in a measuring cup or small bowl.
- Pour mixture over the fruit and stir to combine.
- Evenly pour the fruit mixture in a large baking dish – set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt and sugar with butter to make crumbs.
- Crumble evenly over the fruit mixture.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Recipe adapted from Barefoot Contessa.