This easy recipe uses barbecue pulled pork to delicious sandwich topped with pickled carrots and radishes with fresh jalapeños, cucumbers and cilantro. It’s a great twist on the traditional Vietnamese sandwich thats full of protein and flavor.
For the banh mi:
- 1 pound leftover BBQ pulled pork
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into 4–5” pieces
- Pickled carrots and radishes (see notes below)
- English cucumber, thinly sliced
- Fresh cilantro
- Optional toppings: jalapeño, mint, mayonnaise
For the pickled vegetables:
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
To make the pickled vegetables:
- Heat the ingredients for the brine in a saucepan until sugar and salt and melted, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Place carrots and radishes in mason jars and pour cooled brine into the jar.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
To make the banh mi:
- Heat pulled pork according to package directions.
- Slice pieces of French bread lengthwise.
- Divide pulled pork equally between pieces of bread and top with pickled carrots, radishes, cucumber and cilantro.
Keywords: easy, dairy free, barbecue, bbq, pork, sandwich, Vietnamese