This classic Irish-American dish is traditionally boiled with cabbage, but if you want the most flavorful, tender corned beef, there’s a better way. This baked corned beef is topped with mustard and brown sugar and braised in Guinness. Serve it with mashed potatoes and sautéed cabbage for a complete St. Patrick’s Day meal.
- 1 4-pound corned beef brisket, with seasoning packet
- 1 cup Guinness or other stout
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- Preheat oven to 325˚F.
- Submerge corned beef in cold water for 15 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
- Place corned beef in a baking dish and add Guinness to the pan.
- In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar, mustard and seasoning packet that came with the corned beef. Rub this onto the top of the corned beef.
- Cover the pan and bake for 4 hours, removing the cover for the final 30 minutes of cooking.
- Remove from oven and allow the corned beef to rest for about 10 minutes before slicing.
If your corned beef is larger than 4 pounds, add 1 hour per pound to the cook time.
Keywords: dairy free, egg free, easy, 5 ingredient, beef, brisket, corned beef, St. Patrick's Day