Looking for something unique to serve this holiday season? Look no further than this mini baked Alaska recipe. Instead of a single, classic baked Alaska, this version of a traditional dessert makes it easy to serve individual portions. This baked Alaska cupcakes recipe features rich chocolate cake and dairy free ice cream topped with a delicate meringue frosting that’s toasted to perfection.
For the cupcakes:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon dark cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup dairy free milk
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pint Hudsonville Ice Cream’s Dairy Free Cherry Fudge
For the meringue:
- 2 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
To make the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350˚F and line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a mixing bowl , combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Add in oil, milk, sugar, vanilla extract and egg. Whisk until the mixture is lump free and evenly mixed.
- Divide batter into prepared cupcake liners.
- Bake cupcakes for 18 – 20 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow cupcakes to cool for about 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Cut off the domes of the cupcakes, leaving about 1/4-inch above the liner, to create a flat surface.
- Top each cupcake with a scoop of Hudsonville Ice Cream’s Dairy Free Cherry Fudge flavor. Freeze cupcakes like this for at least 1 hour, or until just before serving.
To make the meringue frosting:
- In a double boiler or a heatproof glass bowl over a saucepan with about 1″ of boiling water, combine egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar.
- Using a thermometer to monitor temperature, heat the mixture, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves. Continue stirring and heat until the mixture reaches 155-160˚F. Transfer the bowl of an electric mixer (or use a hand mixer ).
- Beat the meringue mixture at a high speed for about 5 minutes, or until stiff peaks form and the mixture has cooled to room temp.
- Transfer meringue to a piping bag and completely cover ice cream scoop on each cupcake.
- Toast meringue with a kitchen torch or broil at 450˚F for about 4 minutes.
This recipe makes 6 cupcakes. The recipe is easily doubled and has been tested to ensure that it will work. Feel free to make a full dozen if you’re serving more than 6 people.
Keywords: dairy free, ice cream, chocolate, meringue