This warm and comforting chicken and dumpling soup recipe is made with a hint of apple cider and fresh rosemary. They’re the perfect meal to make for a cozy Sunday evening this fall.
For the soup:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 cup water (optional)
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Black pepper, to taste
For the dumplings:
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 – 1 tablespoon water
- Whisk together dry dumpling ingredients. Add coconut milk, stir to combine.
- In a Dutch oven or large skillet , heat 1 tablespoon olive oil to medium-high. Brown chicken until it easily releases from pan, about 3 minutes per side. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining oil, onion, celery and carrot. Add a pinch of salt and sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently to release brown bits from pan.
- Return chicken to pan. Add apple juice, chicken broth, water, rosemary and salt & pepper. Cover pot and cook for 15 minutes. Remove and shred chicken. (Reduce heat to low and cover while doing this to prevent liquid loss).
- Return chicken to pot and drop dumpling mixture in 2 tablespoon scoops. Increase heat to medium, cover and cook for another 10 minutes or until dumplings are cooked.