For the cake
- 1 cup dairy free butter (softened)
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace (optional)
For the frosting
- 1 cup vegan cream cheese (softened)
- 1/2 cup dairy free butter (softened)
- 5 – 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350˚F (180˚C) and grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, mace and baking powder together – set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vanilla and milk – set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer , cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs – one at a time and beat until incorporated.
- Alternate between adding some of the flour mixture and some of the milk mixture, beating on low until combined.
- Pour batter evenly into cake pans.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes or until cakes are golden and centers spring back when touched.
- Cool for 5 minutes and remove from pans.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer , beat together the butter, cream cheese and vanilla.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar until completely incorporated.
- Spread frosting over the first layer of cake at a medium thickness.
- Place the second layer of cake on top of the frosting layer.
- Fill the space between the layer sides with frosting.
- Continue frosting the cake until completely covered.